Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Party Pub (More Radio Stuff)

Back on September 1, 2010, I began a radio venture with Party 934, with my hour of "Party Pub."

Having no radio experience, except for a couple guests spots on WGN Radio and Q101, I was excited to premiere my own show, and get more experience under my belt. It was only once a week, for one hour, and was primarily music, but it was still a start. My first day, I forgot to put on my headphones, and my first live speaking was drowned out my high pitched feedback. Aw.

I first learned about an opening at Party 934 for a tentative morning show, which I submitted to audition. By the time the audition rolled around, the tentative format was evolving into a "prank-call" type of show, which I wasn't really comfortable with. I will laugh my ass of at segments like that, but I would feel too guilty actually performing them myself. Still, I went in, to give it a shot.

I did OK, but the morning show didn't end up being integrated into the lineup. But I was offered a slot in their "mixologist" pool, with the option of having 1-2 hour time slot, multiple days during the week. I opted to start off with an hour, once a week: every Wednesday at 5pm CT. When thinking of my hour's format, I didn't want to commit to just one genre of music, and I also wanted to play something that would cater to most people's tastes. Being a bartender on the side, I am constantly surrounded by people's requests for the jukebox or watching them jam out to a band. So, I decided for my first show, that I could take that bar atmosphere and create a show around it. So, "Party Pub" was born: an hour of party songs that you normally hear at the local tavern, as created by the patrons.

As the weeks went on, I got a little more comfortable with segueing between songs, and multi-tasking between the different programs to make the show roll. I began receiving requests too, so I knew people were listening (haha), and at times I wouldn't even be able to fit everyone's songs into the hour. So, that was a really cool feeling. I had many ideas for various segments with the show. The one consistent piece was called, "Orange Whip," in which I would do a shot recipe at the halfway mark. Pub, music, shots-- it just all goes together. (Props to you, if you know from which classic movie that I extracted the segment's name.)

Although this was a great way to build my experience, it was not a paying gig (I did it from home, and was not qualified enough to receive compensation anyway). With that said, when a paying job would arise, I would have to give priority to the job that's going to add to the bank account. In addition, other ideas I had for segments required footwork. For example, I wanted to go out to local shows, and do video interviews with local bands. I'd play the audio during the broadcast, and the video would be posted on the Party Pub Facebook. It would have been great cross-marketing between the bands and me. But doing that stuff requires time and money; almost overkill for myself for just a once-a-week, hour-long broadcast that is primarily internet.

Don't get me wrong: I realize that that's precisely the kind of stuff I would need to invest, in order to take it to the next level. But when it comes to my media pursuits, I'm all about doing that sort of extra work when it comes to on-camera work. Radio is still a whole new ballgame for me, something that I was made re-aware of when I ventured out to Minneapolis a couple weeks ago. Radio is something that is going to require it's own separate commitment, something that is going to be hard for me to balance between the on-camera work and my personal life. I'm going to do it, but it's going to take some reorganizing on my behalf, first.

You'll notice that I've been speaking in the past tense, for the duration of this blog. If you listened to the show, you will know that I had my last broadcast on November 23rd. I had intended it to be on November 30th, but while I was in Minneapolis, I was unexpectedly invited back for another day, and I had to cancel the last Party Pub show. With my ever-evolving schedule, I found a lot of things popping up on Wednesdays, and there were numerous times I had to pre-record my show, get a fill-in, or have the station be on "auto-play" because of my unplanned absences. It wasn't fair to anyone that I had to do this, so I put in my notice at the end of October. I didn't want to quit, because Party 934 is an incredible outlet to build experience. So, I requested that I put my show on a hiatus, until I can figure out a time/day that I would be more reliable.

Well, after my Minneapolis trip, I realized that I need more experience in a talk show type format. After all, if I were to get a job in radio, this is the route in which I would strive towards. And doing an hour or two of mainly music is not going to get me off the plateau I am currently posted. Sooooooo, I have made my decision that once I get back into a radio program, whether it is back on Party 934, or another channel (even if it is my own thing on, like, BlogTalkRadio), I want to do an entirely different show. Officially, I am retiring "Party Pub" for good.

This blog is written to the 30 people or so (if even that) who tuned into my "Party Pub" during its 1 and 1/4 year run. After my last broadcast was cancelled, I did not have a proper "goodbye," and now that I am axing the show, I want to give a detailed explanation. Again, I do plan on returning to do some sort of show, it just won't be the "Party Pub" format. For more updates, please subscribe to my Facebook: www.facebook.com/LaurenStrec, because I post all my adventures there. Or, you can also subscribe to my monthly newsletter at the front page of www.LaurenStrec.com. I will be deleting the "Party Pub" Facebook Page (I have an admitted OCD, when it comes to cleanup of unused items, both in my living space and computer).

THANK YOU all for tuning in, sending me your requests, and making this so fun! I hope to have back for my new show!


Party Pub Logo


First show playlist and "Orange Whip" Recipe

"Party Pub" with Party Mixologist Lauren "La La" Strec
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Genre: Classic rock, 80's, alternative, oldies, and local (Chicagoland) music.
Lauren's Favorite Artists: TOOL, Aerosmith, The Doors, Pink, Floyd, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, STP, Incubus, Rise Against, Sublime, Usher, Mariah Carey, Rihanna, Ke$ha, Bruno Mars, Missy Elliot, Cypress Hill, Eminem, Bone Thugs, Tupac, Biggie
About Lauren & Party Pub:
Lauren Strec is your mixologist every Wednesday from 5 - 6 PM CT during, "Party Pub." Lauren, who also goes by "La La," actually holds a double entendre to the term, "mixologist." Since 2006, Lauren has been a bartender, mixing up cocktails and shots in Chicagoland. Now, instead of fusing liquor, Lauren will be mixing up yours and her favorite party songs. Think of her debut show as your own personal tavern. Sit back, crack open a beverage, and enjoy your favorite hits that contribute to that good time buzz.

In addition to working as a bartender, Lauren pursues her endeavors to become a television personality in Chicago. She began hosting work in 2004, and quickly developed a strong passion for broadcasting. "I love connecting with the public, and informing them of cool events, fun facts, and anything Chicago!" she says. Party 934 is another fantastic outlet in her quest to become Chicago's go-to girl, and hook up with the public. Check out her website, at www.LaurenStrec.com, for pictures, videos, and links to her Facebook, Twitter, and many more social media websites.

~Lauren
| | | | |


No comments:

Post a Comment