Monday, December 5, 2011

Minnianapolis ;)

Had a very developmental experience last week, when I went to audition in Minneapolis, for a morning show on their Top 40 radio station, the 'Dave Ryan in the Morning' show on 101.3 KDWB. While my main pursuits are directed at on-camera work, I started getting into radio and voiceover last fall, in order to expand my resume into all areas of broadcasting, and to make myself more rounded in the field of hosting, overall. As I say, I want to be a "SUPER host."

Radio is a completely different animal than on-camera work. In both, I am being myself and relaying information. But on-camera, there are corresponding facial expressions that add to the words. With radio, it's just a voice, and there is a required awareness with HOW you say things, in addition to WHAT you say. I kind of had an idea of this, but truly had my first "real" experience with it during my 2-day audition.

Overall, I had a very fun time on the show, and the most re-occuring negative feedback I heard from the audience was that I laughed too much. Which, from my point of view, I was not even conscientious about, because I was in the studio, just having a good time. Being in Chicago, I was not familiar with the team's format, so in addition to auditioning, I was kind of "watching" the show, to get an idea of how it worked and how the personalities interacted with one and other. And it was some good shit; hence the laughing. But of course, no one is going to want to listen to some chick just laughing her ass off, so I understand the criticism. :) But I digress.

Upon listening to the show's podcast, I still have some very bad habits that I thought were eliminated in speech class, years ago. Verbalized pauses-- saying, "um" or "like"-- are present, and my diction/enunciation definitely needs some work in the early morning. If I were ever going to do a morning show, I would have to wake up and do some face exercises (not even kidding). Most of my dialogue sounded flat too: my sense of humor is admittingly on the sarcastic side, but I sounded a little more dryer than how I felt I was actually executing. So, there has to be an added energy to the voice to compensate for the fact that it is audio only. Oh, and I totally butchered my live read of the news. I'm so used to doing a quick memorization before going on-camera, and I was confident that i could just read off a piece of paper that was given to me a minute before going on live air, but... well... I sucked ass. The second day was 10x better, but still: holy shit. So, I've literally been taking magazines and shampoo bottles and whatever is around the house, and reading them out loud, all while speaking clearly and adding intonations to my voice.

Originally, I was invited for a one-day broadcast, but after the first show, the program director invited me back for the next day. I think they are having all their auditioning talent for a couple visits to the studio, but since I was coming in from Chicago, it made more sense for me just to stay the following day, rather than come back a couple weeks later. Also, it was evident that during the first half of the show, that I was "getting to know" everyone, so it also made sense for me to have my another go at it, now that I wasn't as "blind" to the show and its hosts.

I had a lot of time to kill before the next morning broadcast, so I hit the hotel gym, got something to eat, and just chilled at the hotel with a laptop. Which is fine, with me: I don't require a lot to be entertained, and can hang out with myself, no problem. I kept telling myself not to go and look on the show's website and Facebook to see what people were saying about me, because it is impossible to please everyone, and there would obviously be negative feedback. But I couldn't help myself! haha. So, I did a quick read-through, and nothing was offensive. I appreciate honest feedback, especially if it will help me become better. But although I wasn't offended, I was a little frustrated (at myself) because it sounded like I didn't portray myself as a down-to-earth chick. I wasn't "trying" to do this; I was just being myself. But I didn't think the opposite would shine through instead?

I am the first to make fun of myself. I do not take myself seriously, and can totally take jabs and give it right back. I don't give a shit on being complimented on looks or if someones kisses my ass. Don't get me wrong: I always say 'thank you' and am appreciative if someone takes the time to pay me a compliment. But I don't "get off" on people approving of my chromosome lineup. So, anyway, one example of something that frustrated me was there was a couple people who made something along the lines of that I was "into myself." I can't help but be frustrated at something like that, because it's just not true! To elaborate, at one point during the show, I poked fun of myself by saying I was wearing "8 pounds of makeup." I guess the way I said it was matter-of-factual, and it lacked that intonation that showcased it as purely a joke. Then all of a sudden, my poke at myself turned into that "I was trying to hard" because I wore makeup to the studio. Of course I'm going to do myself up for the audition. They're going to take my picture for the website, I'm going to be walking around the offices and meeting everyone, and we had plans to go out to lunch straight after the show. I wasn't really wearing an extravagant amount: I was just making fun of being a girl. It's like, "really?"

Some people came to my defense, and "got me," so it did ease the irritation with myself. I have a disadvantage over the other candidates because I don't have any friends/fanbase in Minnesota to post on the website and Facebook with accolades. So it really was a true test. And I went into the audition knowing that some people were going to hate me, right off the bat. Not only because it is impossible to please everyone, but also because, as with all the candidates, I am trying to fill the shoes of the former co-host that was established there for years, and who everyone is used to hearing each morning. Lesson learned that delivery is everything!!! Without trying to sound like a total loser: I really did learn from all of it.

Oh side note: for the title of my blog: if you subscribe to my newsletter (sign up at the front page of www.LaurenStrec.com), you will know that I make a personal video to go along with the month's edition. So, I posted my video because it contained some quick info about my radio audition/trip in Minneapolis. Well, my only logical conclusion that I can conclude is that I guess when I was young, I learned to pronounce the city with an extra syllable, an extra "an." Minnianapolis. And I was never corrected on it. Not that there are going to be many conversations during my lifetime in which I say "Minneapolis." Or in my case, Minnianapolis. So, the guys welcomed me onto the show with some ball-busting, by playing an audio clip of me mispronouncing it, over and over. Which was totally deserving and hilarious. And of course I received some flack from the residents! :)

Me, being the pessimist that I am, don't think I did well enough to continue in the running for consideration. But regardless of my performance, it was such a eye-opener to what I need to work on, to make myself better. I am extremely happy that I even make the cut to audition, and I feel a sense of accomplishment with the insight that I gained from the trip. Taking what I learned, I am going to work on a few things, and hopefully something will present itself where I can flex my guns again.


No comments:

Post a Comment